How To Make Vegetable Momos
Today I am going to share with you all one of my favorite tibetan recipe – Vegetable Momos. For a long time the love for momos was confined to the eastern part of the country but now it has spread all over. You can find this delicious dumpling in every city. Traditionally momos are filled with minced meat/chicken but we Indians tend to make a vegetarian version of all things non vegetarian, hence vegetable momos.
For the cover
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Water – for kneading
- Cabbage – 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Capsicum – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- French Beans – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Carrots – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Mushrooms (optional) – 3 tbsp (chopped)
- Spring Onion (whites) – 1/4 cup
- Spring Onion (greens) – 1/4 cup
- Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Soy Sauce – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – according to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Using the flour, salt, oil and water knead a firm dough. Cover the dough and keep it aside for half an hour.
- Now mix all the vegetables (cabbage, capsicum,french beans,carrots) together. You can either finely chop them individually or use a food processor.
- Next add finely chopped mushrooms to the vegetable mixture.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the garlic paste. Saute for 15 seconds.
- Add spring onion whites and saute for a minute.
- Now add all the vegetables. Increase the heat and stir fry the same.
- Add salt, black pepper and soy sauce.Mix well. Continue to stir fry till the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the spring onion greens, give it a stir and remove the mixture from stove. The stuffing is now ready.
- Now, make equal sized balls of the already prepared dough and keep them covered in a moist napkin. Take each dough ball and on a lightly dusted board, roll each dough ball into a thin circle.
- Place 2 tsp of stuffing in the center.
- Pleat all the momos and join it in the center. Your momos are now ready to be steamed.
- Steam for 5 -6 in an electric cooker or a steamer pan. you can also use idli pans or pressure cooker to steam. You will know the momos are done once the outer cover becomes transparent.
- Serve them hot with schezwan sauce.