Baingan Ka Bharta or Smoked Eggplant Mash is one of the most common and classic recipes in every household of North India. This vegetarian delicacy is made out of minced eggplant which is later mixed with other veggies and cooked at medium flame. The aroma and taste of this dish comes alive when served hot. The smell of natural ingredients and spices used in this dish is so mouth-watering that it makes everyone eat more and more ! Here is my Baingan Ka Bharta Recipe :
- Eggplant (big, round and fat) – 2
- Onions – 4 (thinly sliced)
- Tomatoes – 2 (chopped finely)
- Green Chillies – 4
- Ginger- ½ tsp
- Garlic- 2 tsp
- Oil- 3 big tsp
- Salt- according to taste
- Chilly powder- ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder- ½ tsp
- Turmeric- ½ tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves to garnish
Baingan Ka Bharta Recipe :
- Chop the onions, tomatoes, chillies, garlic and ginger into fine pieces.
- Wash the eggplant and wipe it with a clean and dry cloth.
- Grease it with oil and roast it directly on flame (for 7-8 minutes) until it becomes soft and smoked.
- After putting it down the flame, prick it and peel the burnt skin off.
- Once it cools down, mash it and keep it aside.
- Put a wok on flame and pour oil into it. Saute garlic, ginger and onion and cook until it turns brown.
- Now add tomatoes and allow it to purée.
- Mix all the spices and stir until they disappear (3-5 minutes).
- Now add the mashed eggplants, thereby mixing it well and allowing it to cook (3-4 minutes).
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve the hot baingan ka bharta with flat bread (roti/naan).
If you try my Baingan ka Bharta Recipe, do let me know how was it. Do like us on facebook and keep following The Blah Queen Blog for more Indian Food Recipes.