Recipe : Veg Manchow Soup
Manchow Soup is a soup popular in Indian Chinese cuisine due to ease of preparation and hot spicy taste. It is available abundantly in all Chinese restaurants in India.It is made using loads of veggies and red chili sauce. The most important part of any soup is the stock, you can prepare the stock from scratch at home, or use the readily available maggi masala cubes to prepare the same. If you are using maggi masala cubes, all you need to do is disolve 2 cubes in 6 cups of water and let it simmer for 20 – 25 minutes. Once done you can refrigerate and store for 2-3 days.
- Cabbage – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Carrots – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- French Beans – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- Button Mushrooms – 2/3 (finely chopped)
- Green Capsicum – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Spring onion – 1/2 cup
- Garlic – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Ginger – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Green Chilies – 2 (finely chopped)
- Vegetable Stock – 4 cups
- Red Chili Sauce – 1/2 tbsp
- Soya Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Cornflour/Cornstarch – 2 tbsp (dissolved in 1/2 cup water)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt & Pepper – according to taste
- Fried Noodles – 1 cup
- Heat the oil in a wok, add sliced spring onion whites along with ginger and garlic and saute on a high flame for a few seconds.
- Add carrots, french beans, cabbage, mushrooms and capsicum and saute on a high flame for another minute.
- Next add the stock along with the green chillies .
- Add soya sauce and red chilli sauce and mix . (You can add a tsp of tomato ketchup at this point too, if you want the soup to be slightly sweet, but this is completely optional)
- Add the cornflour mixture and cook till the soup thickens.
- Finally add the salt and pepper, some spring onion greens and mix well.
- Serve hot with fried noodles.